Thursday, April 29, 2010

Produce Day!

Thursday has become my new favorite day! I feel like I get a surprise every afternoon when I go pick up our bag of random fresh organic fruits and veggies. Here is what we got this week:



We got a ton of fresh green beans, sweet potatoes, bananas, peaches, apples, mushrooms, cantaloupe, onions, and beets. Yes, beets. I have no idea what I'm going to do with these things yet. I have never cooked beets in my entire life. Let me rephrase that... I have never even ate beets in my entire life. But you know what? What? I'm going to try it!

So we did alot of cooking this past week with everything we got last week. I realized after I blogged last week that the lettuce I said we got was actually kale. Yeah I have never had kale (that I know of) ever before. Here are a few things we fixed:

Kale Chips:
Preheat oven to 350, lay a bunch of kale on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt and bake for 15 minutes. The leaves come out crispy and are a good healthy substitute for potato chips.

Other Kale Ideas:
Mix into any soups. It's very similar to spinach and goes well with alot of different flavors. Also good in salads, especially with a homemade dressing.

Broccoli Soup:
Saute 1 large onion, garlic, salt and pepper until onion is translucent. Add 1 diced potato, bunch of broccoli (frozen or fresh), 2 cups of chicken broth, 2 cups of nonfat milk and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Use a hand mixer and blend until smooth.

Baked Potatoes:
Chop potatoes into cubes, chop onion into medium/large pieces, mix in 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix and bake at temperature listed on soup mix for 40-45 minutes.

Well that's been our week in the kitchen! I will update next week and I may just have a recipe for beets. :)

I'm leaving for St.Augustine Sunday! Not ready for my Adult Medicine rotation at all! I have alot to read up on in 3 days. Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment