Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I need what?? And I find that where??

So, now starts the fun of figuring out what we need in our house to bring baby home :) Is there a good checklist out there, some must have items that we would NEVER think of?? I feel so lost when it comes to this part. They didn't teach me these things in pharmacy school and well I haven't been one to just hangout in Babies R Us.

We have been planning to buy all the things that need to be "put together" soon since my handy man dave will be on Christmas break in a couple of weeks. Our goal is to get all that stuff put together before his spring semester starts up. We will see how that plan goes :)

We started looking at Target at their cribs since I recently saw the one the Bales family purchased for their new little bundle of joy. I loved it! It's dark wood, very "pottery barnish" without the price of pottery barn. Yes I'm still cheap. I just hate spending money (wasting money) on things that you can get at a much lower price for the same look and comparable quality. So, I'm standing in Target and all I see is the crib. Do I load it into my buggy, is there one in a box I take, do we have to order them, where is the dresser and changing table that matches it? So I call Megan. She says, oh I got the crib from the Yulee Target but I had to drive over to a Jax Target for the dresser and such. Hmmm, and then I assume the mattress comes with the baby crib... but no it doesn't. Then where do I buy a baby mattress?? And do all crib mattresses come in one size, and fit all cribs?? These are questions that thankfully Megan could answer! She did give me some helpful information regarding the crib mattress that I probably would have never thought about (I know I know, I'm a pharmacist and I should think to do my research, but I've NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!!) haha. She said when they did alot of the research they found that there was an increase risk of SIDS when the mattress had higher levels of toxic material used that gave off toxic gases that harmed the baby. She said IKEA had one of the best that used none of these materials. She said to also check out the organic section of baby stores and we might be able to find one there. So I'm not saying I've done my own research in this area (yet), and it's not the only cause of SIDS, as there are other things to consider such as making sure baby sleeps on their back, having no toys and blankets in the crib, etc, but it was definitely something to think about. Something I would have had no idea if she wouldn't have mentioned it.

So, I'm now taking suggestions. What is the one thing you couldn't live without when you had a baby?? Because as of right now, we pretty much have the crib and dresser picked out and that is ALL!



To back up a couple of weeks, we found out we are having a BOY!! :) I wasn't surprised at all because David's family is full of boys, on both his mom and dad's side. His mom was the only daughter out of 4 children and she had 3 boys. David's dad has had 4 boys. So I just had that feeling. We went for our OB appt when I was 17 weeks and she said "It's obvious! It's a boy!" We are so excited! We had more names we liked for boys, actually we only had boy names we liked. We couldn't think of any names for girls. Now we just have to narrow down our picks. Mom has been bugging us for a name and I think David finds it funny that we keep her waiting. He said we will pick the name but not tell anybody until after he is born. Mom wouldn't go for that! Haha! Well I have to say, my favorite person we have told about having a boy was my dad. He has wanted a boy for forever. He probably secretly wishes me or Alexis had been a boy, lol! Jk, he loves us :) But I will always remember this moment. After our appointment we went to Chik fil a for breakfast. I left him a message to call me back cause I had some news for him. I couldn't wait to tell him in person, I was too excited. When he called back, I said "dad, are you ready for a grandson??" Neither of us could speak. He started cryin, and then I started cryin. Right in the middle of Chik fil a. It was a sweet moment. And I knew just how excited he was to find out it was a boy :)



The Thanksgiving season is coming quickly and so I will leave you with a verse from Colossians 3. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment