Thursday, December 8, 2011

Random Thoughts

Ready for a really random blog post? (Well aren't all blog posts kinda random anyways?) Anywho, just had some thoughts about different things and I'm just kinda wanting to get them on paper in words if I can. Not for any specific reason but just questions that I have and observations that I've made in talking with people.

I want to start just by saying how imperfect, undeserving, and sinful I am. How I can't wrap my mind around what God has given me. Why, me a sinner, would He send His only Son to die in my place and save me. I just can't get over this. It shakes me to the core, and I am so thankful. I desire to know more about Him and grow in His word. And this brings me to the realization that I have failed miserably at reading His precious Word. Truths that I need to constantly be reminded of are all throughout the pages of the Bible. Where is the desire in you to spend the time reading scriptures?

I feel like society has it all backwards. Actually I don't feel, I know. Even the so called "Christians". And I believe it starts with knowing His Word. I feel like it's so common place in America to identify ourselves as a Christian. But what does that really mean to you? That you are a good person? That you must live a comfortable lifestyle and be nice to people? That your life will be characterized by health, wealth and prosperity all the days of your life? That just by being "Christian" says you will automatically be successful in life? This could not be farthest from the truth of the gospel. So what are we really pursuing in life? I notice this even in my own little world. Just listening to the opinions of others, their life goals, and what they feel is important to accomplish. All of it sometimes just seems like garbage. We waste so much time and energy on being popular, striving to make more money, putting others down whether or not you've been wronged. What happened to forgiveness. We are so undeserving of the forgiveness that God has given us. How can we still act toward people the way we do when we have experienced His ultimate forgiveness.

I want to leave you with a passage I keep coming back to. It's John chapter 15. The very well known "I am the vine, you are the branches" passage. I pray that you read this and soak it in. If we are truly his disciples, we will bear fruit and there will be evidence of our salvation.

And I think my thoughts are more compounded because of the Christmas season. I just want to scream at the top of my lungs and shout, it's not about the presents! It's not about the dinner parties and what bottle of wine you are drinking, and where your fancy outfit came from and how much you spent on it. It's not about how big your Christmas tree is or how nice your lights look on the outside of your fancy home. It's about a mighty savior. Not a fat hairy old man. It's about a King. My King.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! It's very hard to raise a child and teach them the true meaning of Christmas when everywhere you turn, Santa is in your face...even in some churches. I have nothing against people who "do" the Santa thing. I mean, I believed in Santa as a child and I think I turned out OK (the verdict is still out:)) but the Santa thing is just so twisted...He's given attributes that belong to God and God alone. I want Abigail to understand that Christmas is about the birth of Christ not about getting presents or eating cookies! She knows that any presents she gets comes from us or family members but it's still hard when everyone around her believes in Santa and I'm constantly having to go over the "Santa is not real, it's a game people play, don't tell the other kids," spiel. I don't want her to ruin it for other kids either. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this Lins! Andrew and I have the same conversation all the time! How backwards the world has things can be so discouraging sometimes! &btw we decided to not "do" the santa thing either, or easter bunny, or tooth fair, or any of these not real things. If we expect to teach our children not to lie we don't want to set the example that sometimes its ok. And the number one reason: I don't want to confuse them and they get the idea of "well you can't see Jesus is he just a fairy tale too?" It was definitely difficult like jrae83 said santa is everywhere! Even grandparents (specifically the great grands) struggle with understanding why he doesn't know santa! Their idea is we've all believed in santa & its not a bad thing and yes we all turned out alright. (or some of us did haha) I'm not saying santa is bad I'm saying truth is important! & I imagine as the boys get older it will be harder trying to explain things and why other kids believe in santa and such.
    “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:2).

    ReplyDelete